Case Studies

Zero Waste for Macsween

Case Study Name:
Zero Waste for Macsween
Industry:
Food & Drink
E-mail:
marketing@wmtracey.co.uk

Background

The William Tracey Group has been working in partnership with Macsween to achieve 100% diversion from landfill

Macsween is a leading food brand based in Edinburgh that produce award-winning haggis and black pudding which are listed in the major multiples, independent retailers and eateries all over the UK.  Macsween priorities environmental sustainability as a key element of their business values.  Over the past 10 years Macsween have made significant strides in improving and systemising the way they manage their environmental impacts, producing an annual sustainability report sine 2008.  The company has built up a considerable bank of experience in this area and now is citied by industry commentators as a sustainability exemplar within the food industry.

Project

After Macsween increased solid waste recycling to 90% between 2005 and 2010 they have been exploring ways to recycle the remaining 10%.  The solution lay in a partnership with the William Tracey Group, who has championed the process of creating Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF).

RDF is produced by shredding and dehydrating solid waste, which would otherwise have been sent to landfill, for use in the production of sustainable energy.

Results

The RDF produced from the small percentage of Macsween's residual waste, which cannot be reused or recycled, is used in the production of sustainable energy, helping reduce the demand for fossil fuels and cut greenhouse gases.  Using these pioneering technologies Macsween have achieved 100% diversion from landfill.

Could we help you?

Our dedicated account managers are ready to help so enquire today and begin your journey to zero waste.

Telephone 01505 321 000 or email us