We provide comprehensive environmental services which exceed and comply with all governing environmental and health & safety legislation. We will also help businesses ensure compliance with waste legislation so call today to find out how we can help you meet these challenges.
The Waste (Scotland) Regulations take effect from 1st January 2014. This short summary of the key points provides an indication of the challenges your business will face in meeting the objectives of the new legislation. Businesses uncertain how to address the new recycling requirements should contact us for further guidance and support.
All businesses to present segregated recyclates, including paper, card, plastics, metal, glass, for collection from 1st Jan 2014. No exemptions for smaller size of businesses. Source segregation of individual materials preferred however comingled collections allowed – if no reduction in tonnage or quality of recyclates
- Ban on landfill or incineration of recyclates once collected as a separate stream.
- All residual wastes have to be pre-treated before incineration to recover any remaining plastics / metals.
All food businesses producing >5kgs per week to have a separate food waste collection.
- Effective 1st Jan 2014 for businesses with >50kgs / week
- Effective 1st Jan 2016 for businesses with <50kgs/week and NHS premises
- Use of macerators for disposal to sewer banned from 1st Jan 2016
Landfill tax will continue to rise to £80/tonne by 1st April 2014 and will not fall below that rate before 2020. There will be a ban on biodegradable municipal waste going to landfill from 1st January 2021.